Thursday 15 July 2010

Parental Teaching by Father God



Today I was reading Proverbs 3 and thought this.

Proverbs 3:11-12
My son, do not despise the Lord 's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.

This Scripture has taken a front seat in my thinking recently. It was reinforced again with Jerry Bridges' teaching on Holiness and how God continues to treat us as Children in sanctification.

God's discipline is not because God is angry with his Child, it is still down to Grace. The things he does to us or allows the world to do to us is still because of his Unmerited Favor towards us.

Jesus has taken the punishment, all of God's anger is spent. For the Child of God that is. But because the Father loves us so much, he wants us to be changed. What type of Love would God have if he didn't want the best for us? The best for us is to be made like Christ.

Whatever situations in life we go through, we should view them as the Father loving us and wanting us to be like Christ.

Paul puts it better than me,
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

His purpose to make us more like Jesus. Surely this should make us excited? But my experience seems to suggest that other.

I despise the discipline of the Lord most times. But I think if we look at the fact its Love and Purpose led. Surely then we should rejoice!?

The context of this verse is in conjunction with trusting the Lord and looking to Him. So I think the author would expect us to be in situations were we are trying to trust God in life, but things are hard and its not going our way. So therefore because the discipline is led by Love, we should continue to trust in God. So hard times and good times, they are all sent and ordained by the Love of God?

My goodness this really blows my mind and encourages me. I hope it helps you too.

1 comment:

  1. How great that the Father would tell his royal son this ahead of his going to the cross, and us his adopted son too to encourage us that we truly are sons!

    ReplyDelete