Monday 5 April 2010

Worn Men


A man was on a train, he was reading his Bible, trying to seem if anything in this book was real or better yet vaguely believable? One day as he was reading about the Crucifixion of Jesus two men came into the same carriage cart as he. They were young, yet seemed like they lived for decades more. They were close, a friendship that only few ever witness or blessed to be part of. They sat in silence, as if waiting for something. But we just don't know what.
The other man after finishing or reaching the maximum of his ability figuring out these two men, returned to the crucifixion.
Suddenly one of the young men started fitting, throwing himself about all over the carriage. His friend acted like this was as normal as pouring the teapot in the morning. He quickly but eloquently moved over his friend, embraced him, put something in his mouth to stop him biting his tongue and just sat and held him close, while the fit subsided.
He then looked up to the man reading the Bible and said "Sorry, this happens so often, maybe three or four times a day".
The man with the Bible said in surprise "You must be a great friend"?
The other man replied "Well....I am not anybody really, just a man who knows what he has got to do"
He then proceeded to tell a story about the war. This then immediately answered the question as to why they both looked like worn men.
When I was in France, fighting the enemy I got shot, so bad that I could not move. I thought my number was up. This is it. But my friend here in my arms, came to me or better yet crawled over to me and dragged me back to the trench where we came from. Just inches before we could get into the trench an incendiary bomb fell next to my friend going off in his face. We both survived but ever since that day, he has had these fits. We were both shipped back to Blighty. When we got back and were fixed up, we were sent home. My friend however had no friends or family, yet these fits would be with him forever. I knew that I had to help him, because he did so much for me. He saved me and I must keep on saving him. I quit my job moved to London and now live with him.
As soon as he finished the story their stop arrived, so the two young worn men left.
The guy with the Bible sat stunned and thought of Jesus. He went to the Cross for me, for my sake. What would I do for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment